Supermicro® FatTwin™ Server Embraces the Earth with 5-15% Less Energy Consumption
Supports 8x 3.5” Hot-Swap HDDs in 1U, 135W CPUs at 47°C Ambient Without Compromising Performance and More, Maximizing Data Center Efficiency for Best TCO
San Francisco, CA, September 11, 2012 - Super Micro Computer, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMCI), a global leader in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology and green computing, will showcase its latest Earth friendly FatTwin server platforms developed by its strong USA design team at IDF 2012 in San Francisco, CA, September 11-13. The FatTwin is an evolutionary Twin architecture optimized for Data Center, Cloud Computing and Enterprise IT offering the industry’s best capacity and efficiency with 8/4 hot-plug node configurations in an industry standard 4U rack mount chassis (29.5” depth). These systems feature high-density computing power with support for dual Intel® Xeon® E5-2600 processors (up to 135W) and up to 512GB of memory per node with greater storage capacity up to 8x 3.5” hot-swap HDDs in 1U or 6x 2.5” hot-swap HDDs per 0.5U and are powered by redundant Platinum-level, high-efficiency (95%) digital switching power supplies. Also remarkable is the simplicity of its efficient design, featuring free-air cooling and the most effective use of shared, hot-swap resources to dramatically reduce TCO across infrastructure from space requirements to cooling costs and ease of maintenance. These advantages combined enable the highly configurable FatTwin to deliver maximized performance-per-watt with greater energy efficiency measured at 5-15% above existing competitive Twin server solutions. New Front I/O configurations ease serviceability in the Data Center and provide rapid access to hot-plug nodes and hot-swap server components from the cold aisle. GPU for HPC and Hadoop, Big Data optimized configurations are also coming soon. FatTwin simplifies any upgrade or new data center development with higher density computing and capacity in standard rackmount ready formats and is in high volume production now.
“Data Center, Cloud and Enterprise IT are challenged to balance growing resource and performance needs within space and power budget constraints,” said Charles Liang, President and CEO of Supermicro. “Looking to the future, we’ve increased the compute-density and capacity of our Twin architecture, improved the energy efficiency, optimized cooling and delivered the 4U FatTwin. With support for dual 135W Intel Xeon E5-2600 CPUs per node, maximum storage capacity per U and airflow optimized designs supporting high-ambient operating temperatures up to 47°C, FatTwin delivers on all fronts to save on infrastructure space and energy costs while protecting our environment. FatTwin joins Supermicro’s Server Building Block Solutions to provide the widest range of standard server rack computing platforms supporting Intel’s x86 architecture on the market today.”
“Intel works closely with our developer community to foster innovation and create opportunities that advance our society,” said Lisa Graff, Vice President Intel Architecture Group and General Manager Datacenter Marketing Group at Intel. “IDF San Francisco brings together many companies that share our passion and Supermicro as a longstanding solution provider continues its tradition of delivering innovative, energy efficient server solutions such as the FatTwin that take advantage of Intel’s latest processor advances. Together we are driving the future of computing balancing performance requirements with energy conservation in the data center and cloud.”
Along with FatTwin demos, Supermicro’s IDF exhibits include a full range of MP 8-Way/4-Way, DP and UP server/storage and motherboard solutions optimized for Data Center, Cloud, Enterprise IT, HPC and Embedded computing applications.
Data Center, Cloud Computing and Enterprise IT
- 2U Twin² (SYS-6027TR-H70RF+), high density computing solutions are ideal for virtualization environments and feature 4x hot-plug nodes each supporting dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600, up to 512GB memory in 16 DIMM slots, 1x PCI-E 3.0 slot, 3x hot-swap 3.5” SATA HDD bays and dual 1GbE LAN ports.
- 1U SuperServer (SYS-6017R-TDAF) optimized to dramatically reduce operating expenses with maximum energy efficiency and Free-Air cooled operation in high-ambient temperature environments up to 47°C. This solution features dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600, up to 256GB memory, 1x PCI-E 3.0 slot, 4x hot-swap 3.5” SAS2/SATA3 HDD bays dual 1GbE LAN ports and 600W Platinum-level high-efficiency (94%+) power supply.
- 2U SuperStorage server (SSG-6027R-E1R12N) is designed for scalable NAS and IP-SAN applications delivering new levels of storage performance and capacity expansion. This storage solution features dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 (up to 130W TDP), up to 768GB of memory, 12x hot-swap 3.5” SAS2/SATA3 HDD bays, H/W RAID controller and JBOD expansion, 4x PCI-E 3.0 slots and 4x 1GbE LAN ports.
- 3U MicroCloud SuperServer (SYS-5037MR-H8TRF) is a flexible platform for offers eight (8x) high-performance, high-efficiency UP server nodes with easy-serviceability in a modular, 23” deep space saving chassis design. MicroCloud features (per node) a single Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 offering up to 8 cores and 130W TDP, up to 128GB memory, 1x PCI-E 3.0 low-profile slot, 2x hot-swap 3.5” SATA3 HDD bays, dual 1GbE LAN ports and shared redundant 1620W Platinum-level high-efficiency (94%+) power supplies. MicroCloud will be on display at Intel’s main booth.
- 7U SuperBlade® product line includes the TwinBlade® (SBI-7227R-T2) offering with 40 CPUs in 7U and the new PCI-E Blade (SBI-7127R-SH) providing a flexible solution for 1x FHHL PCI-E Gen3 card and 2x 2.5” HDDs (including SAS2/SATA3/SSD). This combines with FDR 56Gb/QDR 40Gb InfiniBand, 10GbE and FCoE modules for HPC, Data Center and Storage Area Network (SAN) connectivity.
- SuperRack® provides the ultimate enclosure solution optimized for Supermicro’s complete line of server and storage platforms. Combine Supermicro’s rack solutions with Supermicro’s NMView software for complete, remote node monitoring and management.
High Performance Computing (HPC)
- 4U/Tower SuperWorkstation (SYS-7047AX-72RF/TRF) features Enterprise-class Overclocking and emphasizes high-availability and reliability for critical transaction processing at the highest performance levels. Supports dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 (up to 150W TDP), up to 512GB memory, 7x PCI-E expansion slots, 8x hot-swap 3.5” drive bays and dual 1GbE LAN ports. This SuperWorkstation also showcases Intel® Xeon® Phi™ coprocessors and Intel® SSD 910 series storage devices.
- 2U SuperServer® (SYS-2027GR-TRF) popular in large scale supercomputing clusters for oil & gas, financial, 3D modeling/rendering, scientific and engineering applications – supports 6x GPUs, dual Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600, up to 256GB memory, 10x hot-swap 2.5” drive bays, dual 1GbE ports.
- 4U/Tower SuperServer (SYS-8047R-7RFT+) supports quad, 8-core Intel® Xeon® processor E5-4600, up to 1TB memory, 5x hot-swap 3.5” SAS2/SATA3 HDD bays, 4x PCI-E 3.0 slots and 2x 10GbE LAN ports.
Visit Supermicro at IDF 2012, San Francisco in Moscone Center West, Booth #700 to see a complete lineup of server and storage solutions for Data Center, Cloud and Enterprise IT applications. In addition to its FatTwin and SuperServer displays, Supermicro will showcase its Embedded Solutions in Booth #208 of the Intelligent Systems Community section within IDF.
Follow Supermicro on Facebook and Twitter to receive their latest news and announcements.